Chronic Condition and Critical Care
City of Garland residential water and electric utility customers who have a chronic condition or critical illnesses may submit documentation to notify the City of their dependence on these utility services. Payment assistance options may be available should these customers experience a temporary situation causing them to fall behind on bill payments.
Customers have a serious medical condition and need utility service for themselves or for medical equipment to prevent the customer from becoming more ill.
Customers need utility service because they are on life support equipment.
Examples of qualifying medical or life support equipment include, but are not limited to the following:
How to sign up
- Complete the form. This form can be found here. PLEASE NOTE: A portion of this form must be completed by the applicant’s health care provider.
- Submit the completed form by mail or in person to:
|Utility Customer Service|
City of Garland
217 N. Fifth St.
Garland, TX 75040
- Once the application is approved, a medical code will be added to the customer’s utility account for twelve months to indicate to Garland employees that a customer has documented medical needs at the service location.
- Customers must renew this medical status every twelve months. Utility Customer service will mail a renewal form for the customer to complete and resubmit.
Although Garland Power & Light and Garland Water Utilities provide reliable electric and water service, there is no guarantee of service. Outages may occur for a variety of reasons, including weather or equipment failure.
In addition to collecting basic emergency supplies, customers should:
- Identify alternative sources of electricity or water for use during an outage.
- For electricity, have a generator or battery backup.
- For water, have bottled water available for personal use, or for sterilizing or cleaning equipment. Rotate the supply often to keep it fresh.
- Plan for long-term outages. Know in advance, which neighbor, friend or family member can be of assistance. Arrange for transportation to a known facility that will have emergency power.
- Have a variety of telephone options, including a landline phone that plugs directly into a wall phone jack.
Learn more about preparing for emergencies.